We know you love to eat watermelon, but you will love watermelon seeds more once you get to know the beauty benefits of the amazing oil extracted from the seeds. The little black seeds are a nutritional powerhouse and deliver clear, glowing skin easily.
So, what is Watermelon Seed Oil?
Originating from Kalahari Desert of Africa, Watermelon seed oil is also known as ootanga oil and kalahari oil.
Watermelon seed oil is an extremely nutritious oil extracted from Watermelon seeds, “as expected”. The seeds come in different shades of black and brown, and power packed with high concentration of dietary minerals.
With growing awareness, watermelon seed oil is being used as an active ingredient in many skin and hair care products for topical application. It is even used to prepare baby products, like lotions and massage oils.
Why Watermelon Seed Oil is good for skin and hair?
Watermelon seed Oil is used in various skin care products like moisturizers, creams, salves, lotions, lip balms, under eye creams as well as hair care products, mainly because it is-
- Nourishing yet light oil
- Non-greasy winter care
- Highly absorbent, but do not clog pores
- Very effective for oily and combination skin, but suits all skin types including dry, oily, acne-prone or aging skin
- Suitable for baby oil formulations
- Rich in essential fatty acids that help to restore skin elasticity.
Watermelon seed oil is loaded with Vitamin A, B and E. It is also rich in minerals, like magnesium, iron, copper, phosphorus, potassium and manganese. Plus this oil contains high amounts of unsaturated fatty acids like Linoleic acid, Oleic acid, Palmitic acid and Stearic acid.
Extraction of Oil
Watermelon seeds are sun dried to reduce the water content, followed by pressing to extract fine yellow colored oil. Cold pressed method is the best extraction method, which is used by Satliva. It generates 100% organic and pure watermelon seed oil.
The therapeutic healing properties of Watermelon seed oil makes them versatile to be used for skin and hair both. It is
- Emollient – Soothing moisturizer for all skin types.
- Detoxifying Agent – It is used in cleansing solutions.
- Antioxidant – Naturally inhibit oxidation.
- Anti-aging agent – Nutritive oil prevents skin from free radicals.
- Anti-inflammatory – It reduces skin inflammation.
- Anthelminthic – When included in diet, de-worms the intestine.
- Diuretic – Helps in exit of body toxins through urination.
Watermelon seed oil offers numerous therapeutic benefits both for skin and hair.
1. Watermelon seed oil as a Carrier Oil
Watermelon seed oil acts as a carrier oil or diluter to be combined with thick massage oils or other essential oils. Its perfect viscosity, indefinite shelf life and mild aroma makes it virtuous all-purpose carrier oil for use in aromatherapy. Not always in combination, it can even be individually applied on body for all age groups including babies. It feels light and gets absorbed quickly into the skin.
2. Watermelon seed oil for Skin
- Right Moisturizer - Good news for those who are tired of searching the right ingredient for oily skin. Watermelon seed oil diminishes skin oil (sebum) by dissolving it. Therefore, after applying oil and washing the face, it feels less oily. Resultantly, less chance of acne, clogging pores and folliculitis. Watermelon seed oil is equally nourishing to dry, irritated skin, and is quite useful in treatment of eczema and psoriasis.
- Anti-Aging effects – It provides antioxidants to the skin cells, which prevents skin from attack of free radicals and oxidizing agents in the environment. Free radical and UV radiations are the main culprits causing accelerated aging. This oil when applied on skin neutralize the free radicals, before they can cause any damage.
- Detoxifying Agent – This oil act as a skin cleanser and detoxifies skin by removal of dirt and toxins through sweat pores.
3. Watermelon seed oil for Hair
Watermelon seed oil is also a seamless choice for inclusion in the hair care department, thanks to its highly moisturizing and nutritive properties. In scalp also, applying the oil reduces the existing oiliness, and avoid that glossy oily look. Its nourishing, reduces fizz and smells nice. The oil can even be heated and used on hair for a smooth, shiny non-greasy finish.
4. Watermelon seed oil as a rich source of Vitamin E
Vitamin E is abundantly present in Watermelon seed oil, which when absorbed into our system, act as an antioxidant, improves the functioning of our immune system, protects our lipids and also the nervous system.
Blends Well with Candelilla Wax
Watermelon seed oil and Candelilla wax make a great pair. The nutrient rich Candelilla Wax gets effortlessly absorbed deep into the skin and acts as a barrier to prevent moisture loss. It’s a good binder and a great substitute of beeswax, which suits vegan lifestyles. It has high melting point, therefore acts as a stabiliser and emulsifier in preparation of creams, oils, balms and lotions.
Where to buy Watermelon seed oil products?
After reading its incredible benefits, we are sure, you would want to try these products.
Satliva is soon launching watermelon face cream, Cannmelon hair cream and Ylang lip balm comprising of 100% organic Watermelon Seed Oil and Candelilla Wax as the active ingredients.
Connect with us at Satliva.com for more details and to order!