“4/20” is a common term used widely by cannabis enthusiasts across the globe. But what does it mean? What does it stand for? And who stands for it?
Put simply; “4/20” refers to the date 20th April, which is recognized by cannabis culture as a national holiday, and every year the month of April is celebrated as Cannabis Awareness Month.
There are several origin stories and urban legends surrounding the date 4/20, some believe it was the code used by police to indicate the presence of cannabis, some say it is because there are 420 chemical compounds present in cannabis, but regardless of how it originated, the term has touched many, and continues to spread its positive message.
What is the message?
The message is simple; equality between all, equity among all, inclusivity for all, and freedom within all. The global cannabis community includes not only common consumers, it also houses exceptional doctors, healers, artists, entrepreneurs, and innovators from all walks of life. Individuals who are determined to correct common misconceptions, and erase misinformation about the cannabis plant, which has time and again proven its utility and necessity in the world we live in today.
What are the benefits of Cannabis?
It’s true; there are many who endorse and promote cannabis; academics, doctors, scientists, but why do they do so?
Because the list of benefits that comes with the appropriate use of cannabis products and medical cannabis is tried, tested, and long:
- Contains Anti-inflammatory properties.
- Encourages relaxation and recovery.
- Helps manage pain.
- Alleviates stress.
- Manages and regulates weight.
- Treats side effects of chemotherapy.
- Helps regulate and control seizures.
- Used to treat arthritis.
- It is a nutritional powerhouse.
- Helps reduce carbon emission.
- Used to create chemical-free fabrics, in-turn helping the environment.
- Production of hemp fabric uses much less water compared to other fabrics.
- Helps control epilepsy.
- Used to treat cancer and control tumor growth.
- Used widely for symptoms of PTSD and the treatment for Schizophrenia.
There are a multitude of other benefits, and with extensive cannabis research currently underway, new benefits and perspectives are regularly being added to an already long list.
How can you contribute to cannabis awareness month?
Cannabis Awareness Month and 4/20 are not limited to enthusiasts or members of cannabis culture, quite the opposite. The goal is to spread awareness and authentic information among individuals who may not fully understand the plant, and its purpose.
A few things you can begin with:
- Educate yourself before trying to educate another. Misinformation is more destructive than no information.
- Join a campaign or event to help spread awareness.
- Correctly introduce a friend to cannabis.
- Share this post with someone.
Cannabis is a versatile plant, reaching and affecting a diverse range of lives. It means different things to different people, some might even call it a journey in itself. What it means to you, is something you can only find out by becoming aware and knowledgeable about what is also referred to as “the miracle plant.” We wish you an en-’light’-ening 4/20 from our team at Satliva.